Sunday, August 22, 2010

Brain Balance, what the heck is she talking about?

 All this brain research might just make my brain explode.. Just kidding... Truly, I love the research. It's actually my passion and I will share it with anyone that is willing to listen.
 A little over two years ago, I started on this journey. What started as a mild interest quickly grew into a passion. The more I learned about brain function, the more I wanted to learn. Then, I came up with my own hypothesis of how we should use our brain to stay balanced. Now I am on a journey to prove that my hypothesis is correct. 
I'm at the point now where I would like to hear from others about their experiences in being balanced. 
There are those out there that, not only work on both sides of their brain but also, can relate to those that don't. 
We live in a society that is structured more for the left-brained way of thinking and functioning. I have even read some studies that try to discount the right brain all together. The right brain has been called the "minor brain" and even the "useless brain". Personally, I find that kind of talk extremely offensive and belittling. There's a reason that we have two hemispheres of the brain. Both serve a purpose and to discount one or the other is, putting it plain and simple, stupidity and arrogance. 
Now you may ask me why I named my Blog "Everybody Needs to Be a Little Right-Brain". The answer to that is simple, since our society tries to shove everyone over to the left side of thinking, I'd like to take everyone back over to the right-brain for a bit.... Let us play at creativity, passion, sensitivity and all of those other fun parts of the right brain. 
Now that I've babbled on, I'd like to hear your stories, questions and I'm even open to comments, but you have to be kind. Like Thumper's dad would always say, "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all." :o)

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you! 

2 comments:

  1. Carol, this has been a major interest of mine since the days of the earliest findings, not all that long ago. And of course as an artist I embraced and endorse the Betty Edwards book,"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain."

    In my junior year of high school I fell extremely sick and my grades plummeted. Although I was great at subkects like Art, Theater, and English, I'd always struggled with math; it was completely incomprehensible to me, and now (despite my very obvious symptoms) my teachers were relentless in chiding me about "goofing off" and "not working up to my potential". "If you're so good at drawing, why can't you do math? You're not even trying." They never saw me, still up at 4 a.m., crying over my algebra and wondering if I really WAS stupid.

    After surgery to remove an enormous tumour from my brain stem, it was as if a completely heretofore inaccessible area of my mind was now open to me. Suddenly I "got" math; suddenly I was capable of deeper analysis in things like book reports - no more superficialities, now I was able to see the Big Picture.

    This was the late 60s - we knew nothing about the divided brain. And the more we learn, the more mysterious and fascinating it is. -Greg V

    ReplyDelete
  2. What effect have you note gender to have on ability to be in the right brain?
    - Susan H

    ReplyDelete